Friday, November 6, 2009

Text Messaging To Improve Adherance

Over the past year, I visited 50 practices in mostly rural PA.  I asked them if they collected email addresses or cell phone numbers from their patients.  Most assumed that patients don't want emails from their doctors or, since I work in Medicaid, that Medicaid patients can't afford to keep the same cell phone number.  The resistance to change was our usual human response.  However, here's an article from the NY Times showing the clinical value of text message medication reminders.

I don't know about you, but if my google calendar didn't text me a reminder, I would forget to get home on time and take my daughter to field hockey practice. 

Enjoy!

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/05/health/05chen.html?_r=1

No comments:

Post a Comment